Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Book Club Review: The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Oh hey there lovely people whom I adore etc. etc. It's that time of the month where we all gather round and discuss the written word. 
 
 Grab a button and link up! 
This month was "The Perks of Being a Wallflower."
Now, to start off being honest, I didn't read the book.
BECAUSE we had this awesome gchat the other night with other book clubbers and discussed the book. Since I love spoilers and already read a ton of reviews, I decided that I was okay with not spending my entire weekend reading the book so that I could post today. Instead I went and saw the movie last night. It was good. Probably way better than the book as far as I can tell with everyone's reviews. 
This is what I think coincides:
It was way too much for YA Fiction. There is no way I believe that this could have happened to a freshman in high school. And honestly, if it did, I would be so worried for this kid! I guess we do worry for Charlie the entire time. At least in the movie, you get many more opportunities to root for Charlie. You constantly want this all to work out. And much like (from what I hear) in the book, you get this INSANE abrupt ending that just throws you for a loop. Aunt Helen? Seriously? In the movie, she is so very rarely referenced that you are almost confused by the ending because you're like, "wait, what? Who is that? She did what? I'm confused." 
Anyhoo, since Chbosky wrote the screenplay and directed the movie, I felt like I wasn't cheating too much. 
Basically, I would normally say whether or not I would have bought the book or not. In this case I obviously didn't sooooooo, but I would say see the movie. It wasn't too bad; just totally marketed towards the wrong age group.
So for November, we are going to be taking suggestions for the genre of mystery/crime! 
Put your suggestions here:

Also, if you want to be added to the email update list, please leave your email in the comments or email it to me at BrightandBeautifulBlog@gmail.com 

3 comments:

  1. I definitely want to see the movie, even though I wasn't a fan of the book. Sometimes seeing it on the screen gives it this whole other perspective for me! :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the movie. And I'd love to be included on the email updates: mia @ thechroniclesofchaos . com. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to see the movie. The way I see it... it can't be much worse than the book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i liked the book a lot and am surprised that so many others didn't...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment you sweet person you! If it is a question or something for me to reply to, check back here as I tend to answer through the comments. I appreciate all the love!

Love Kaylee

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...